Italian journalist Fabrizio Romano has shut down rumours that Marseille are attempting to sign Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United in the latter stages of the transfer window.
The 37-year-old is still believed to be attempting to leave Old Trafford in order to join a Champions League club, and there has recently been talk surrounding a potential move to France.
Marseille will turn out in the Champions League this term, and Ronaldo is thought to be open to the idea of playing in France before the end of his professional career.
However, Romano has said that there are not currently any discussions between Igor Tudor‘s side and the Man United forward.
“I want to clarify the Marseille rumours in France. I know their fans are going crazy, but at the moment there is nothing. No meetings, no negotiations. It’s also important to say that the Marseille president is angry and sad with those rumours,” Romano told CaughtOffside.
According to the journalist, the Portuguese’s situation at Man United is “still at the same point”, with his agent Jorge Mendes attempting to secure an exit before the transfer deadline.
“The situation with Cristiano Ronaldo is still at the same point, between himself and Manchester United, and with his agents. Jorge Mendes is still trying to find the best solution, but it’s not easy to find a club at the level of Cristiano Ronaldo,” he added.
Ronaldo has been involved in Man United’s first three matches of the Premier League season against Brighton & Hove Albion, Brentford and Liverpool, but he was named on the bench against the latter on Monday, only featuring as a late substitute in the team’s 2-1 victory.
Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich are believed to be among the clubs to have rejected the chance to sign him this summer.
Bayern sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic explained earlier this week why the German champions decided against making a move for the striker.
“When you now see how our attack is equipped – even without Robert Lewandowski – it’s just difficult from a sporting and financial point of view,” Salihamidzic told BILD’s Phrasenmaher podcast.
“We have eight players for four positions upfront. We have established top players who are in the prime of their footballing age.
“We have talent that we want to give playing time too, so we all voted to go through with our plan. So that (signing Ronaldo) was out of question for us. We are very happy with how we’re equipped.”
Borussia Dortmund and Sporting Lisbon have also recently been linked with the Portuguese, but moves to either are seen as unlikely at this stage, while Atletico Madrid have allegedly cooled their interest.
Man United continue to insist that Ronaldo is not for sale, but the club are believed to be privately preparing for his departure before the transfer deadline, with Ajax’s Antony and PSV Eindhoven’s Cody Gakpo both seen as potential additions late in the window.