Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount has reportedly rejected the offer of a new contract worth £200,000 per week.
Since the takeover of the Blues was completed at the end of May, the club’s new owners have been proactive with regards to dealing with matters with the first-team squad.
As well as going on a spending spree during the summer transfer window, co-owner Todd Boehly has been involved in trying to negotiate fresh terms with a number of the club’s stars and prospects.
So far, the likes of Reece James and Armando Broja have penned contracts until 2028, while Trevoh Chalobah joined his fellow academy graduates in committing to the same year on Friday.
However, the process involving Mount remains far from complete, there being mixed reports regarding progress at the negotiating table before he departed with England for the World Cup.
There has been the suggestion that all parties are ‘quietly confident’ about eventually finalising terms once the 23-year-old has returned from Qatar.
Nevertheless, according to the Daily Mail, Mount has turned down the chance to sign a long-term deal worth £200,000 per week.
Despite that representing a huge increase on his current income, the report says that Mount wants parity with summer arrival Raheem Sterling.
His club and country teammate was allegedly provided with a £300,000-per-week contract when he made the decision to leave Manchester City for Stamford Bridge earlier this year.
Furthermore, it is claimed that James’s deal is worth £250,000 per week, adding to Mount’s argument that Chelsea’s current offer is too low in comparison to other players.
Although Mount has endured a disappointing campaign during 2022-23, he has 32 goals and 37 assists to his name from 181 appearances in all competitions.
The former Vitesse and Derby County loanee has also started each of England’s opening two matches at the World Cup, taking him to 33 caps for the Three Lions.
Mount currently has just over 19 months remaining on his contract and there is no prospect of Chelsea contemplating a sale during the January transfer window.
However, the likes of Liverpool and Juventus are said to be monitoring the situation ahead of a potential approach later in 2023.