Sports News

Manchester United ‘in discussions over January deal for Vanderson’

Manchester United ‘in discussions over January deal for Vanderson’

Manchester United are reportedly working on a January deal for Monaco defender Vanderson.

The Red Devils are believed to be determined to bring a new right-back to Old Trafford next year, with Aaron Wan-Bissaka deemed surplus to requirements by new head coach Erik ten Hag.

Diogo Dalot is firmly the club’s first-choice right-back, with the Portugal international making a strong start to the season, contributing two assists in eight appearances in all competitions.

However, Man United want to boost their options in that area of the field, and according to Sport, Vanderson has been identified as the leading target for the club.

The report claims that the English side’s football director John Murtough has already spoken to the defender’s representatives about a switch to Old Trafford.

New Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag, Mitchell van der Gaag, director of football John Murtough, Steve McClaren and chief executive officer Richard Arnold in the stands on May 22, 2022© Reuters

Vanderson is said to be willing to leave Monaco next year to make the move to the Red Devils, although it is unclear whether the Ligue 1 side would be prepared to sell him in January.

Barcelona were also linked with the Brazilian over the summer, and it was alleged that the La Liga outfit were quoted as much as €60m (£52m) for a player who still has five years left to run on his contract.

Vanderson made the move to Monaco from Gremio in January and has now represented the principality side on 33 occasions, contributing two goals and three assists in the process.

The South American has made 11 appearances in all competitions this term, meanwhile, seven of which have come in the league, while he has featured twice in the group stage of the Europa League.

The 21-year-old is also still thought to be on Barcelona’s radar despite the Catalan side bringing Hector Bellerin back to the club in the latter stages of the summer market.

Manchester United head coach Erik ten Hag pictured on September 8, 2022© Reuters

Man United boss Ten Hag recently hinted that his club could be active in January, with recruitment meetings due to be held during the international break.

“Always to use such breaks [is] useful,” Ten Hag told MUTV. “We have many meetings, we have to improve the structures in and around the club, we will do.

“We will also look to the window in January or next summer already but also to improve our way of playing by making plans and, of course, this coming period with every third day a game we have to get ready for that.

“The players: 90% is away, the others will train proper and for the rest we have to prepare very well and I hope everyone stays fit, return, healthy back and we have to go in and attack.”

The Red Devils have not played a Premier League match since the win over Arsenal on September 4 due to their last two league games being postponed, but they beat Sheriff Tiraspol 2-0 in the Europa League last week.

ID:495086:1false2false3false:QQ:: from db desktop :LenBod:collect5636:

You may also like

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments