Sports News

Bayern Munich chief rules out Cristiano Ronaldo move

Bayern Munich chief rules out Cristiano Ronaldo move

Bayern Munich chief executive Oliver Kahn has ruled out the prospect of signing free agent Cristiano Ronaldo.

The 37-year-old is currently without a club after the forward left Manchester United by mutual consent earlier this month amid his scathing interview about the Red Devils with Piers Morgan.

During the interview on TalkTV, Ronaldo heavily criticised manager Erik ten Hag, the Glazer family, several board members and former players.

Ten Hag is understood to have told Man United’s hierarchy that the Portugal international should never play for the club again following his comments, which have ultimately spelled the end of his second stint at Old Trafford.

Ronaldo is currently focused on representing Portugal at the 2022 World Cup, but speculation over the five-time Ballon d’Or winners future remains rife heading into the New Year.

Portugal forward Cristiano Ronaldo in action against Ghana at the World Cup on November 24, 2022© Reuters

Since the departure of Robert Lewandowski to Barcelona over the summer, Bayern Munich have been linked with a possible move for Ronaldo, who is yet to test himself in the Bundesliga having previously gained experience in the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and Primeira Liga.

Bayern chief Kahn has admitted that a move to sign Ronaldo was “considered” by the German giants, but they have now pulled out of the race for his signature.

“I can rule out a move for Ronaldo,” Kahn told Sky Sports News. “We’ve considered it, we all love Ronaldo but the strategy is different.

“We’ve a clear idea, philosophy of how our squad should be put together”.

Bayern are not the only top European club who have decided against a move for Ronaldo, as a recent report claims that Premier League side Chelsea have also ended their interest in the forward.

Cristiano Ronaldo in action for Portugal on September 27, 2022© Reuters

With the likes of Paris Saint-Germain, Napoli and Sporting Lisbon also said to have pulled out of the race, a potential move away from Europe could be on the cards for Ronaldo, with clubs in the Middle East allegedly interested in his services.

A recent report claims that 18-time Saudi Arabian top-flight champions Al-Hilal are willing to make Ronaldo the highest-paid player in the world, which would see the forward earn in excess of the £500,000 a week he pocketed during his second spell at Man United.

Meanwhile, a separate report states that fellow Saudi Arabian outfit Al-Nassr have offered Ronaldo a huge financial package worth around $225m (£186.1m).

At the World Cup, Ronaldo found the net in Portugal’s 3-2 opening victory over Ghana in Group H last Thursday, becoming the first player in the competition’s history to score at five separate finals.

Ronaldo was then unable to get on the scoresheet in Portugal’s 2-0 win against Uruguay on Monday, despite claiming to have made contact with an in-swinging cross from Bruno Fernandes.

Nevertheless, A Selecao still managed to qualify for the last 16 and they will look to secure top spot in Group H when they face South Korea in their final group fixture on Friday.

ID:500864:1false2false3false:QQ:: from db desktop :LenBod:collect6450:

You may also like

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments